While Richard Westbrook used the straight line speed advantage of the Corvette Daytona Prototypes to pass the Le Mans-style P2 car of Alex Brundle on the penultimate restart to take the win, Antonio Garcia pushed Corvette Racing to its third consecutive victory in GTLM with Danish ace Jan Magnussen.
The late race yellow with 25 minutes remaining changed the face of the race. Alex Brundle’s Oak Racing Morgan-Nissan had the pace of the field but needed a yellow to stretch his fuel mileage to the finish.
The yellow (caused by contact between Alex Tagliani’s PC car and the GTD Porsche of Ian James) was a double edged sword for Brundle. He needed the yellow for fuel mileage, the but the restart allowed the lapped Frisselle brothers DP to get past him into turn one and then race winner Richard Westbrook (teamed with Michael Valiante) powered by on the run to the bus stop.
Despite being quicker on the pack half the circuit, Brundle (teamed with Gustavo Yacaman and Ho-Pin Tung) was unable to get back past even in the final lap dash which was created by another late race yellow-causing crash between Renger van der Zande and Scott Pruett.
The win by Garcia and Magnussen (pictured right) pushed them into the championship lead. The duo also became the first pairing to score three consecutive class wins in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
Dominic Farnbacher and Marc Goosens celebrated the debut the retro red and white Viper livery with second place ahead of their teammates Jonathan Bomarito and Kuno Witttmer
Other class wins went to CORE autosport (Jon Bennett, Colin Braun and James Gue) in PC and Turner Motorsport in GTD (Dane Cameron and Marcus Palttala.
Top three in class (overall in parentheses):
(1) #90-P Richard Westbrook (Corvette DP) 191 laps
(2) #42-P Alex Brundle (Morgan Nissan) 191 laps (0.877- in class) (0.877- overall)
(3) #5-P Joao Barbosa (Corvette DP) 191 laps (1.587- in class) (1.587- overall)
(6) #54-PC Colin Braun (Oreca FLM 09 Chevrolet) 186 laps (-5 Laps overall)
(7) #88-PC Martin Plowman (Oreca FLM 09 Chevrolet) 186 laps (8.127- in class) (-5 Laps overall)
(8) #52-PC Gunnar Jeannette (Oreca FLM 09 Chevrolet) 186 laps (9.159- in class) (-5 Laps overall)
(11) #3-GTLM Antonio Garcia (Chevrolet Corvette C7.R) 185 laps (-6 Laps overall)
(12) #91-GTLM Marc Goossens (Dodge Viper SRT) 185 laps (0.185- in class) (-6 Laps overall)
(13) #93-GTLM Jonathan Bomarito (Dodge Viper SRT) 185 laps (3.165- in class) (-6 Laps overall)
(25) #94-GTD Dane Cameron (BMW Z4) 178 laps (-13 Laps overall)
(26) #555-GTD Townsend Bell (Ferrari F458 Italia) 178 laps (2.087- in class) (-13 Laps overall)
(27) #44-GTD Andy Lally (Porsche 911 GT America) 177 laps (-1 Laps in class) (-14 Laps overall)